Funfetti Donuts By Savor The Baking
Donuts are an American tradition as loved as baseball. They bring out the child in us all and there are many varieties to enjoy. No matter if it’s Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts these sugary confections are sure to satisfy any sweet tooth. Whether they are frosted with sprinkles or filled with a tasty jam there is a whimsical quality about them.
Rainbow sprinkles add a party to anything that you put them on and these donuts are no exception. The batter is soft and it almost melts in your mouth like cotton candy. Not only are sprinkles on the outside, but they are also on the inside throughout the donut batter.
Today I am going to bring you a donut recipe that is sure to brighten any day. The rainbow sprinkles are cheerful and will bring a smile to your face. Best of all this recipe doesn’t need a stand mixer. All you will need are two bowls and a donut pan to get started and they are easy to make.
This recipe can be made alone or it’s a fun way to get the kids involved in the baking process. They will love the colorful sprinkles and the fun appearance of these donuts.
Get ready to have bakery inspired donuts in the comfort of your home. You’ll wow guests at events when you show up with a dozen of these donuts. You won’t be able to get enough of the glaze. A glass of milk is optional.
Baked Funfetti Donuts
Yield – 6 donuts
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup milk (I used 2%)
1/4 cup greek yogurt
2 tablespoons unsalted butter (melted)
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup rainbow sprinkles
Yield – glazes 6 donuts
1/4 cup milk (I used 2%)
2 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Rainbow sprinkles to sprinkle on top
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 6 count donut pan with non-stick baking spray.
For the donuts:
- In a medium sized bowl whisk all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, ground nutmeg, ground cinnamon, and granulated sugar. Set aside.
- In a separate medium sized bowl whisk milk, greek yogurt, egg, melted unsalted butter, and pure vanilla extract. Set aside.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until combined. Be careful not to overmix.
- Gently fold in sprinkles.
- Option 1:Spoon batter into donut cups.
- Option 2: Place batter in gallon sized ziploc bag and cut bottom tip off. Pipe the batter in each of the donut cups until 3/4 full.
- Bake donuts for 8-10 minutes or until edges are light brown.
- Allow donuts to cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- Remove donuts from pan and place on cooling rack until almost completely cooled.
For the glaze:
- Place milk, powdered sugar, pure vanilla extract, and milk in a small sauce pan on low heat.
- Whisk ingredients until combined and smooth. Remove from heat.
- Dunk donuts in sauce pan one at a time and place on cooling rack. Let glaze dry for a few minutes.
- Dunk donuts a second time in sauce pan one at a time and top with sprinkles.
*Recipe adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction